Wednesday, September 11, 2013

C4T #1

Minimum Expectations


My teacher Karl Fisch was involved in a two day professional development course structured around the Common Core Math Standard. One activity that he and his group completed was a rating on the complexity of the math problems. Mr. Fisch felt as though a few could be on the PAPCC Test, and they were not discussing what REAL math problems should look like.
After reviewing the problems, they needed to work out the math problems. Mr. Fisch explained to his group that there was a different way of solving the equations. By using the program Desmos on their graphing calculators, Mr. Fisch was able to solve the equations. However, other members in his group did not agree with his technique. After this, it lead him to ask this question: “What should be our minimum expectations?”

 Formulas of a Triangles


My Response to Mr. Fisch


I explained that I agreed with his colleges just a little. I think that is important to teach the proper formulas to students. Once the students have mastered the formulas, then show a few techniques that would be useful. I explained that as college student majoring in education, I too am struggling to remember the formulas I once was taught, so that I can effectively teach them to my students. All that I can remember are the cheats that my teachers taught.


Teenagers Need a Minimum of 9 Hours of Sleep a Night

Mr. Fisch talked about how school was back in session, and students need a minimum of 9 hours of sleep a night. To back up his argument he posted a video to his blog by TED Talk on the neuroscience of sleep. This video describes the health issues that are associated with insufficient hours of sleep. Also, there is a decrease in learning ability with the lack of sleep. So if a person were to take sleep more seriously a person can increase concentration, attention, decision making, creativity, social skills and health. While, on the other end to the spectrum, it will decrease mood swings, stress, anger, impulsiveness, drinking and smoking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LWULB9Aoopc


My Response to Mr. Fisch

Who would have thought that sleep had so many benefits? I am a college student, after viewing the video you placed in your blog, I found to be important and interesting. I personally never knew that sleep was viewed other than a way for resting and restoring the mind and body. I will take sleeping more seriously, for the health of my mind and body. Nine hours of sleep here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment