Friday, October 4, 2013

Project #2

Personal Learning Network

Are you wondering what a Personal Learning Network is? That is perfectly fine, before this assignment I had never heard of what a Personal Learning Network or PLN was. Although PLN is a group of people that communicate and exchange information with one another, usually online. PLNs include different social networking sites such as: Facebook, Twitter, Wikis, and LinkedIn, just to name a few.

I watched the video PLN by Mr. Michael Fawcett who teaches in New Zealand. Mr. Fawcett gives his insight of PLN and what a positive outcome it has made on his class and himself. In the video he stated that twelve months ago, he did not have a PLN. He finally was introduced to PLN when he went to a teaching conference and a twitter account was set up to voice their comments and concerns. His connections were the few teachers that he had talked to during the conference, but as the weeks went by, he started adding more people that he did not know. These were teachers from all around the world giving tips, tools, websites, and feedbacks for his classroom. His Personal Learning Network has multiplied, and Mr. Fawcett said that because he had started his PLN "it made him grow as a Teacher." The one thing that I have learned from Mr. Fawcett is that you can never have too many connections, and his ending to his video was great!

Since Mr. Fawcett's ending of his video was so compelling I will have a PLN as an educator. I am choosing to use Symbaloo for project #2 as my Personal Learning Network. Symbaloo is a online service that you can organize all of your online life with little tiles, and it allows you to discover anything else. I figure with all of my bookmarks in one location I will be able to manage my contacts with other educators and students. I am still in the process of finding new tiles to fill in my Webmix Home Screen.
 Bookmarking Tiles

No comments:

Post a Comment