Wednesday, November 20, 2013

PLN Project #2

My Personal Learning Network or PLN is a set of tools that I will be able to use for help, consultation, and other assistance. After learning the importance of a PLN in EDM310 with Dr. Strange, I have found that Symbaloo would be a perfect match for me. With Symbaloo, I am in control of the tiles that I feel is important for me as a teacher. The tiles that I found that will help grow my network is LinkedIn, facebook, Blogger, and Twitter. So I have added tiles of my accounts. This way I will always be able to get assistance from other teachers that I have subscribed to. I also think that it was important for me to put our class blog for EDM310 in my Symbaloo. My purpose for this discussion was because Dr. Strange is great at finding new technology and having his students experiment with it. Also, the class blog has a link of all students so I see how the technology can be used.
My Symbaloo
Now, the tiles that are white running down the right side of the Google Search tile are tiles that I can use in the process of making my lessons. The first is Pandora; it is a free app to listen to music. The reason I choose it was because there is different channels one being just for kids. I think that it is something great to use in the class if we are at centers. The second is Discovery Education; it is a resource that we learned about in EDM310 with Dr. Strange. The one thing that I like about the website is that they offer free resources for teachers. Next, is “r-t,” it is a Reading tutor tile. I really thought that it was a unique website because you can build a tutoring program for English readers and ESL readers. Since this EDM310 class is about teaching student how to become technology intelligent, I found a website that will use technology in a transformational kind of a learning experience. That website is Desire2Learn; it is here that you can find lessons and technology that can be used by students for a greater learning experience. The tile neoK12 has educational videos, lessons, quizzes, and games for every grade level and subject. The last two tiles are the Teaching Channel and Story Bird. Teaching Channel is a video library of teaching practices from other teachers and creative lessons. Story Bird is just what it says; it is a website where you can create, read, and share visual stories. I thought this would be a great tool to have I a classroom for beginning readers, and students that are writing short stories. There are many different activities I can use with this tile.

So my blue tiles on the right side of my Symbaloo, are tiles that I liked and did not want to forget about. Most of the blue tiles are tiles that my students will be able to use in the class for writing papers, and conducting research for instance the title with the squirrel, it is a website of flash cards. IXL is a website that, as a teacher, I can look up state standards for Math and Language Arts for each grade level. I also have a pencil and the notebook, with is a Paper Rater. It allows students and me the teacher to check spelling and grammar and helps with proofreading. The plus side it is a free website. I also have Skype, so I have interviews or guest speakers in the classroom even if they cannot be present. The last two tiles I have been for blogging. In EDM310 and seeing firsthand the outcome of teachers using a classroom blog, I want to use blogging in my future class. So I have education.weebly.com and edeblogs.com both websites are free to set up and use in the class. I still have empty tiles to use, but I cannot wait to find more resources for my Symbaloo and classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment